5 Signs You Have an Aging Roof
Every roof is expected to last a certain number of years and will eventually need to be replaced, even with the best of care. Today, we take a look at the signs of an aging roof.
1. The roof needs frequent repairs – Professionally conducted roof repairs and maintenance should keep your roof in good shape during its expected lifespan. As the roof ages, key components begin to deteriorate, which means problems such as leaks can happen more frequently. If your roof seems to need repairs too often, your roof may need to be replaced soon.
2. Some of the shingles are curling or buckling – Old asphalt shingles tend to curl or buckle as a result of years of exposure to direct sunlight. These symptoms of aging are usually noticeable after the roof’s expected service life. Asphalt shingles in this shape may not be able to provide sufficient protection for your home, in which case you should start planning for a roof replacement.
3. Shingles and flashing are missing – Years of wear can also take its toll on other parts of the roof, including fasteners and flashing. This is why old roofs tend to have missing shingles and flashing. When this happens, parts of the underlayment become exposed to outdoor conditions, which places your home at greater risk of moisture infiltration.
4. You’re finding sediment in the gutters – Loose granules on asphalt shingles wash off from the roofing surface. As the roof ages, more granules lose their hold on the backing material. These granules can collect as sediment at the bottom of the gutters. If you’re cleaning the gutters and are finding inch-deep sediment in the troughs, this means your roof will need to be replaced soon.
5. Your roof is over 20 years old – This may be the most obvious, but it’s also one that’s easily overlooked. An asphalt shingle roof is expected to last 20 to 30 years. While you can get a few more years out of your roof with proper maintenance, you should be planning for roof replacement soon. In addition to addressing age-related roofing problems, your new roof can make you eligible for insurance discounts.
Berry Roofing & Solar is your leading provider of roofing services, including solar roofing installation. Give us a call at (951) 905-5117. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.